Global Action Week for Education GAWE 2022
Global Action Week for Education (GAWE) 2022
A call to Protect Education in Emergencies Now!
TAKE PART in Global Action Week for Education, April 25-29, 2022. #GAWE20222 and #ProtectEiENow!
Inclusive Planning, Sustainable Financing, Realised Rights
In the light of the major emergencies happening all over the world and their devastating impact on the right to education of millions of people, particularly the most vulnerable, this Global Action Week for Education (GAWE) 2022 may be more important than ever: it is an urgent and strong call on States, world leaders and the international community to Protect Education in Emergencies Now! Indeed, #GAWE2022 is organised under the umbrella of the Protect Education in Emergencies Now! Campaign:
Inclusive Planning, Sustainable Financing, Realised Rights. Actions and activities of this year’s edition are centred around an urgent and robust call on States, world leaders and the international community to Protect Education in Emergencies Now!
#GAWE2022 calls on States to #ProtectEiENow by;
- Protecting education from attacks and adhering to and complying with the Safe Schools Declaration, adopted in 2015.
- Providing safe and accessible learning environments for all learners in emergency contexts, without discrimination based on gender, disability, race, ethnic origin or any other factor.
- Developing and implementing crisis-sensitive national education plans and budgets and promoting the equitable and sustainable inclusion of refugees, asylum seekers, returnees, and stateless and internally displaced persons in national education systems.
- Guaranteeing that teachers are protected, adequately trained and remunerated.
- Promoting a genuinely transformative education and a foundation for peace.
- Listening to the voices of the people affected by emergencies – civil society organisations, communities, families, teachers – who are the first responders in these situations. Their experiences, perspectives and stories count, and they must receive full consideration in education plans and policies.
Equally important, investment in education in emergencies is key. Despite the alarming figures and stories, education remains one of the most underfunded areas of humanitarian aid, receiving just 2,4 % of global humanitarian funding.
Education in emergencies desperately needs sufficient, sustainable and predictable funding; this involves, for donor countries, allocating at least 10% of humanitarian funding to education, including by committing a minimum of USD 1.5 billion to Education Cannot Wait (ECW).
We are thrilled to share with you the #GAWE2022 Campaign pack with everything you need to take part in this important week of mobilisation. Post and share the communication and campaigning material developed for #GAWE2022 on social media and web platforms. This includes:
- The #GAWE2022 logo.
- The #GAWE2022 Social Media Toolkit with suggested Social Media Posts.
- The #GAWE2022 Political statement for dissemination.
- The #GAWE2022 Press release for dissemination.
Organise an event in your country to demand urgent action to Protect Education in Emergencies Now! Share your plans with GCE Secretariat ahead of #GAWE2022 to explore the different ways GCE can support you!
TAKE PART and strengthen actions!
Each day of the #GAWE2022 will see regional policy dialogues focusing on education in emergency contexts. The last day will be a high-level global culmination event. REGISTER NOW for the following events and take part in the incredible work underway worldwide to #ProtectEiENow!
The Arab region
Monday, 25th of April 2022: The Arab region will launch GAWE 2022 in A Regional Policy Dialogue on Education in Emergencies hosted by the Arab Campaign for Education for All. The event will start at 14h00 Palestine Time / 15h00 CET. Registration link: https://bit.ly/GAWEACEA
The Latin America region
Tuesday, 26th of April 2022: The Latin America region will host their GAWE dialogue on Education in Emergency Contexts in Latin America and The Caribbean: Gender, debt, digitalisation hosted by the Latin American Campaign for the Right to Education. The event will start at 11h00 Brazil Time/ 16h00 CET. Registration link: https://bit.ly/GAWECLADE
The Asia-Pacific region
Wednesday, 27th of April 2022: The Asia-Pacific region will host their GAWE dialogue titled Protect Education in Emergencies Now: An Asia-Pacific Regional dialogue hosted by the Asia South Pacific Association for Basic and Adult Education (ASPBAE). The event will start at 13h00 Manilla Time / 7h00 CET. Event link: https://bit.ly/aspbaegawe
The Africa region
Thursday, 28th of April 2022: The African region will host their GAWE Regional Policy Dialogue on Education in Emergencies in Africa led by the African National Campaign for Education for All (ANCEFA). The event will start at 8h00 EST / 12h00 GMT / 14H00 CET. Registration Link: https://bit.ly/GAWEANCEFA
The Global GAWE policy dialogue
Friday, 29th of April 2022: The Global GAWE policy dialogue, led by GCE in partnership with the Jesuit Refugee Services and GCE-US, will focus on Equitable Access to Learning in Displacement: Taking Action Against Discrimination and Marginalisation. The event will start at 8h00 EST / 14h00 CET / 20h00 Manila Time. Registration Link: https://bit.ly/GAWEGLOBAL
Thank you in advance for your support! We look forward to engaging with you throughout the Global Action Week in our joint efforts to Protect Education in Emergencies Now!
In Case You Missed It!
Watch the #ProtectEiENow Campaign film below: