Global Action Week For Education 2021
Are you concerned about the future of the Billion students and children whose education was stopped or interrupted because of Covid19?
Time to Take Action!
Join the One billion Voices Global Action Week for Education, April 26-30 2021
Demand improved and increased financing for education!
The theme for the 2021 Global Action Week for Education (GAWE) is education financing, in-line with the policy framing of the One Billion Voices campaign. Actions and activities undertaken during the week will be focused on securing an increase in the public financing of education to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
The GCE movement jointly developed a policy call to action for the campaign and GAWE will work towards the achievement of the policy recommendations as set out in that document, from which the topline recommendations for governments are to:
- Increase state funding for education to 20% of public expenditure.
- Increase their tax base in order to increase resources, working towards a minimum tax-to-GDP ratio of 20%.
- Enable urgent debt cancellation for the least developed countries; and Debt alleviation for middle and upper-middle-income countries.
- Ensure inclusive education systems through equitable financing and programmes that prioritises the most marginalised.
- Provide free quality education for all and end the trend towards the privatization and commercialization of education.
- Improve the quality of teaching through adequate recruitment, remuneration and continued teacher training.
- Listen and respond to the voices of those affected. Space must be allowed for individuals and civil society to speak up.
- Developed countries must continue to work towards the goal of 0.7% overseas aid, with 20% of this spent on education, and increasing their contributions to the Global Partnership for Education and Education Cannot Wait.
A Week of Action!
Each day of GAWE will see a different regional policy dialogue, focused on education financing but with a regional focus. On the last day, GAWE will culminate in a high-level global event on education financing, focused on mobilising towards GPE replenishment and G7.
SAVE the DATES and JOIN in the GAWE Regional Policy Dialogues and Global Culmination Day!
|Monday, April 26
|Asia – ASPBAE
|Regional policy dialogue
Campaign photo-story competition winners announced
|Tuesday, April 27
|Arab Region – ACEA
|Regional policy dialogue with a focus on Arab coalition debt campaign
|Wednesday, April 28
|Latin America – CLADE
|Regional policy dialogue with a focus on privatization
|Thursday, April 29
|Africa – ANCEFA
|Launch of Africa domestic financing report
|Friday, April 30
|Global culmination day
|High-level global policy dialogue on mobilising education financing (in partnership with GPE)
Organise an event in your country to demand urgent action for education!
Use the campaign materials including the One Billion Voices campaign pack and the GAWE campaign pack to inform national-level advocacy and campaign activities.
Share your plans with GCE Secretariat ahead of GAWE to explore the different ways we can support you!
Make the Buzz!
Take Part in the Photo-Story Competition!
Winners of the One Billion Voices Photo-Story Competition will be announced on the first day of GAWE!
Participate! Submit your photo-story, see it featured in the campaign and contribute to building a powerful unified voice to call for change!