One Billion Voices
About the One Billion Voices For Education Campaign
Are you one of the BILLION people whose education was affected by Covid19?
Are you concerned about the future of the Billion students and children whose education was stopped or interrupted because of Covid19?
YOUR VOICE NEEDS TO BE HEARD!! Join the
More than a billion people’s education affected by COVID-19
During the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic, an estimated 1.5 billion learners had their education stopped or interrupted. Education systems continue to face a devastating crisis, the challenges around public financing and the ever-increasing pressure on resources for public services, are resulting in less prioritisation of education. While some learners have returned to school, the COVID-19 pandemic deepened digital exclusion of many especially vulnerable communities, including children with disabilities.
The world faces a tipping point where a seismic reversal in education progress has begun and has devastating effects on many other Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Furthermore, the World Bank projects a potential 10% cut in education budgets due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Not only must these rollbacks on education financing be stopped but more and better financing for education must be secured and secured now.
One Billion Voices: Acting now to elevate the voices of those affected
The One Billion Voices campaign is a chance to stand together to CALL FOR URGENT ACTION FOR EDUCATION! The voices of the billion people whose education is affected by the pandemic need to be elevated and heard! ONE BILLION VOICES FOR EDUCATION!
One Billion Voices aims to urge governments, donors, international organisations to address the lack of education financing, aggravated by the COVID-19 pandemic, which also worsen the progress of the entire Sustainable Development Agenda and specifically SDG4.
Join the One Billion Voices Campaign virtual launch on 25th January and find out how governments, donors and civil society should strengthen education financing. Register here!: bit.ly/1BillionVoicesLaunch and Follow @globaleducation
Solutions Exist! One Billion Voices Call to Action
Ask for improved and increased public financing for education by uniting behind the campaign Call to Action calling on states to:
- Increase state funding for education to 20% of public expenditure.
- Increase their tax base in order to increase resources, working towards a minimum tax-to-GDP ratio of 20%.
- Enable urgent debt cancellation for the least developed countries; and Debt alleviation for middle and upper-middle-income countries.
- Ensure inclusive educational systems and institutions.
- Provide free quality education for all and end the trend towards the privatization and commercialization of education.
- Improve the quality of teaching through adequate recruitment, remuneration, and continued teacher training.
- Listen and respond to the voices of those affected. Space must be allowed for individuals and civil society to speak up.
- Developed countries must continue to work towards the goal of 0.7% overseas aid, with 20% of this spent on education, and increasing their contributions to the Global Partnership for Education and Education Cannot Wait.
What YOU can do:
Join us for the #OneBillionVoicesForEducation Campaign launch and share your voice! 25 January 2022, 1:30-3 pm SAST. Follow @globaleducation
Reserve your spot right now: bit.ly/1BillionVoicesLaunch
WATCH AND SHARE!
One Billion Voices Campaign Launch video here.
WRITE YOUR GOVERNMENT
Use these letters to lobby your government representatives to take action.
SHARE YOUR STORIES, PHOTOS, VIDEOS!
Are you one of the BILLION people whose education was affected by COVID-19 ? Was your child’s education, your nieces and nephew’s, your friends’ education affected?
CREATE YOUR ONE BILLION VOICES SOCIAL MEDIA CARD!
Use this frame on your social media platform profile pictures or print these message cards. TAKE A SELFIE and share it on your social media platforms tagging or mentioning @campaingforeducation (Facebook and Instagram) @globaleducation (Twitter).
SEND A MESSAGE OF SOLIDARITY!
CREATE THE BUZZ ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
Tweet, post on Facebook and Instagram about the One Billion Voices Campaign, using#OneBillionVoicesForEducation POST, AND SHARE the campaign visuals available here.
Talk about the One Billion Voices Campaign and mobilise your friends and networks to participate in the Campaign.