Work With Us
Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Learning Officer
evaluation and reporting processes within the Global Secretariat,
feeding into learning.
Role profile: Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Learning Officer
Job purpose: To support the development and implementation of monitoring, evaluation and reporting processes within the Global Secretariat, feeding into learning.
Reporting to: MERL Manager
Work Dimensions: The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will work closely with programmes and technical teams in the GCE Secretariat, programme implementing partners from the GCE membership and broadly with GCE members to contribute to the GCE’s MERL processes.
Location: Johannesburg, SA or anywhere globally within GCE’s regions
Employment Type: 1 year fixed-term contract with possibility of renewal, to commence ASAP
Duties and Responsibilities:
Development and implementation of MERL frameworks for programmes and interventions
- Support the development and review of M&E frameworks and information systems ensuring that M&E processes are embedded in the design of all GCE programmes and interventions.
- Provide overall support and follow up on the implementation of MERL frameworks ensuring that data collection mechanisms are results oriented and utilisation focused, feeding into learning.
- Support the development and update as needed, monitoring and reporting tools, templates and guidelines to support planning, data collection and information sharing.
MERL support and management of MERL systems
- Support developments, maintenance and use of MERL online platforms for effective information and knowledge sharing within the GCE Secretariat and programme partners.
- Support the GCE Secretariat, project partners and GCE members to contribute into GCE’s MERL processes including tracking results along the results chain (output, outcome and impact level).
- Oversee reporting data entry and storage to maintain the online platforms as the reliable source of GCE information relating memberships, partnerships, collaborations and programmes information.
- Provide MERL technical and capacity support to the GCE Secretariat, programme partners and GCE members through trainings and development of tools and guidelines.
- Oversee the coordination of the GCE Secretariat monthly programmes and technical meetings structure.
Reporting and reviews for GCE programmes and interventions
- Coordinate timely reporting and compilation of reports, ensuring timely submission of programmes and interventions progress and results reports (quarterly, biannual and annual), contributing to reporting against the GCE strategic plan.
- Ensure reliability of programmes reports by collecting documentation to validate reports and carrying out regular spot and random checks.
- Co-author project reports and produce analytical summaries: graphs, charts, tables, narratives and appealing visuals, as requested, to fulfil internal and external reporting requirements and for learning purposes.
- Participate in planning and execution of external programme review and evaluation exercises.
- Consolidate lessons from programmes and interventions for shared learning.
Qualifications and Key Competencies:
Essential skills, capabilities and knowledge
- NQF level 6 or equivalent qualification with M&E, Information Technology, Data Management or Statistics Dimensions.
- 3 to 4 years of experience in Monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent computer skills and demonstrated experience in using advanced programmes/applications.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to present large information in easily useable format and layout.
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- Good understanding and experience in programme design, theory of change functions and logical frameworks, including links between objectives, indicators, targets and activities
- Ability to take initiatives and multitask with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work within tight deadlines, deliver on time and to prioritize a complex workload.
- An understanding of grassroots civil society activism, especially networks and the ability to motivate and engage staff and individuals from diverse coalition member organizations.
- Cultural sensitivity, ability to work with colleagues in different locations and demonstrated
- ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies.
- A commitment to GCE’s core values, principles and mission to promote the right to education.
- A team player with good interpersonal skills over email, by phone and in person
- Understanding of international development issues and international NGO work experience.
- Experience from working with civil society movements, citizen engagement, advocacy organisations and/or rights-based programme approaches.
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis
- Ability to work in at least one of GCE’s other official languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese) will be advantageous.
For full job descriptions and applicant requirements, please visit:
apply for a position, please submit your application letter and a CV/resume (2 pages maximum),
closing date: Monday, 26th June 2023. Please indicate the job title you are applying for in the
subject line of the email. For further information on GCE, please visit our website:
- GCE is an equal opportunity organisation and everyone is encouraged to apply.
- Please note that due to high volumes of applications that we receive, only complete
applications will be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- GCE reserves the right to shortlist and interview on a rolling basis and in that case the job
advert may be withdrawn at any time from job sites without notification.
Download vacancy here