Work With Us
Communications and Media Officer
Under the direction of the Campaigns and Communication Manager, the
Communications and Media Officer will be responsible for ensuring that the internal and
external GCE communication are in line with its vision, mission and branding.
Job purpose: Under the direction of the Campaigns and Communication Manager, the Communications and Media Officer will be responsible for ensuring that the internal and external GCE communication are in line with its vision, mission and branding.
Reporting to: Campaigns and Communication Manager
Location: Johannesburg, SA or anywhere globally within GCE’s regions
Employment Type: 1 year fixed-term contract with possibility of renewal, to commence ASAP
Duties and responsibilities:
Internal and Members Communications
- Design and implement the GCE’s communication strategies and branding with the guidance of the Campaigns and Communication Manager
- Manage the internal and external communication of the GCE strategy and vision in close collaboration with other GCE staff.
- Develop content of all GCE members' emails and newsletter, media release and other related communication materials.
- Analyse and monitor GCE’s members’ communication needs and promote their work in close cooperation with other Secretariat members
- Work with the Knowledge Exchange and Learning Manager to support the dissemination of learning and sharing within the GCE network and beyond.
- Maintain and update GCE’s membership and partner database to ensure effective communications with all relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure GCE communicates effectively in each of its five official languages (English, Arabic, French, Portuguese, and Spanish).
Content Production and Publication
- Develop and produce content that engages and informs GCE members and partners across various channels, through newsletters, members mails, blogs, graphic design outputs, website, social media.
- Work with GCE staff to support the production of GCE official publications (reports and research papers), including design and layouts, dissemination, and publishing on the GCE website and social media platforms.
- Ensure quality and timely translation of all communications materials to each of GCE’s five official languages.
- Ensure that communication material produced adheres to editorial policies and are in line with the GCE identity guidelines across all platforms.
- Lead in the production of GCE’s film/video communications/documentaries.
- Take responsibility for GCE’s publications and reports archiving to ensure quality institutional memory.
- Lead in the delivery of GCE’s digital communications, including updating the content of the GCE websites, and social media platforms. Includes monitoring education news and scheduling of tweets and analysis and tracking members posts and tags on GCE Tweet Deck account.
- Lead in the content development and management for the GCE websites, social media platforms, newsletter, and members’ mail. (GCE and EASG) (Instagram, twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, and LinkedIn)
- Lead in GCE websites upgrade through updating content and graphics, monitoring site performance and results, identifying, and evaluating improvement options, and introducing new technology and security.
- Manage all GCE mailing platforms, lists and communication networks.
- Identify and engage media outlets, producers, editors, and reporters receptive to GCE’s strategy and work.
- Maintain and update key journalists' contact database.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists, bloggers, and other stakeholders that will help advance GCE’s work.
- Report on media monitoring and coverage analysis.
- Ensure GCE media materials are distributed and disseminated widely
- Coordinate press activities including media releases, media events and outreach.
Qualifications and Key Competencies:
Essential skills, capabilities and knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, journalism/public relations, social sciences or other related fields
- 3 to 4 years of experience in communications and media relations.
- A commitment to GCE’s core values, principles and mission to promote the right to education.
- Proven experience in managing social media platforms and expertise in digital communications (including websites, emailing and newsletters).
- Proven experience working with the media.
- Proven ability to manage relationships with media representatives and GCE members and partners.
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- An understanding of grassroots civil society activism, especially networks and the ability to motivate and
- engage staff and individuals from diverse coalition member organizations.
- Cultural sensitivity, ability to work with colleagues in different locations and demonstrated ability to work successfully with diverse constituencies.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and strong writing and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills over email, by phone and in person.
- Ability to work within tight deadlines, deliver on time and to prioritize a complex workload.
- Self-starter, autonomous and able to manage own workload efficiently.
- At least two years’ experience at the international level or an international organisation
- Working knowledge of design software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and basing coding skills (HTML)
- Working knowledge of video editing software.
- Competency in one or more of GCE’s other official languages (Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, French) will be advantageous.
- Existing network of contacts in the field of global and/or regional education policy.
- Experience of working in global networks or coalitions.
- Experience of working with GCE member coalitions.
For full job descriptions and applicant requirements, please visit:
position, please submit your application letter and a CV/resume (2 pages maximum), including at least two
2023. Please indicate the job title you are applying for in the subject line of the email. For further information
on GCE, please visit our website: www.campaignforeducation.org/.
- GCE is an equal opportunity organisation and everyone is encouraged to apply.
- Please note that due to high volumes of applications that we receive, only complete applications will be
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- GCE reserves the right to shortlist and interview on a rolling basis and in that case the job advert may be
withdrawn at any time from job sites without notification.
Download vacancy here