- August 30, 2021
- Posted by: philani
- Category: Jobs, News
The Global Campaign for Education (GCE) founded in 1999, is a global civil society movement working to end the education crisis. GCE members bring together civil society organisations, NGOs, teacher unions, child rights activists, parents’ associations, youth and community organisations who work together in coalition in more than 100 countries. GCE promotes education as a basic human right, mobilises the public to put pressure on governments and the international community to fulfill their promises to provide free, compulsory, high-quality public education for all.
The Global Campaign for Education (GCE) is seeking to recruit a hardworking, inspired, passionate, and dynamic Communications intern. The purpose of the role is to support GCE’s Communication work in achieving its strategic goals. This position offers an exciting and in-depth exposure opportunity to a range of communication work.
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Type of contract: Fixed-term
Deadline for application: 15 September 2021
- Work closely with the Communications Officer to achieve key deliverables outlined in the GCE Communication Plan.
- Perform other emerging communication tasks as they arise guided by GCE programme activities.
- Support the development and updating of content in all 5 GCE languages, including other GCE sub-websites.
- Analyse monthly technical maintenance reports identifying bugs and actions required on GCE websites.
- Monitor website updates, performance and suggest areas of improvement.
- Assist in website planning with wireframes, site maps, and graphics.
- Upgrade sites by updating content and graphics, monitoring site performance and results, identifying and evaluating improvement options, introducing new technology, maintaining and fixing broken links.
- Create pages, templates, and new designs for the website.
- Maintain sites appearance by developing and enforcing content.
GCE newsletter and members emails:
- Support the development of content for the newsletter and GCE members’ emails.
- Upload content on the Mailchimp platform.
- Add contacts to the lists on Mailchimp.
- Monitoring metrics to improve engagement and feedback.
- Develop, test, and analyse new tactics to increase newsletter engagement rates
- Make recommendations for engagement optimisation based on newsletter and email campaigns performances.
GCE social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, and Flickr
- Search and curate content for GCE social media platforms.
- Post on GCE social media platform.
- Upload GCE videos and stories on Youtube.
- Archive GCE images on Flickr.
- Monitor news and sentiments on education news on social media
GCE Lists and groups
- Post on GCE list and groups.
- Add contacts on GCE lists and groups.
- Moderate messages on GCE lists and groups.
GCE Graphic Design
- Support with ideas on design visuals for newsletters, emails, websites, and social media posts
- Source and update images to required standards for design purposes
- Ability to communicate in both written and spoken English.
- Strong written, verbal, and visual communication skills with a demonstrated ability to transform ideas into communication content.
- Able to prioritise goals while maintaining deadlines, executing on deliverables, and keeping team members informed of status as it changes.
- Experience in Content Management Systems and building web pages on WordPress and Joomla.
- Deep understanding of web design and email best practices.
- Understanding of CSS changes and their ramifications to ensure consistent style across platforms and browsers.
- Ability to communicate professionally with technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Self-starter that can multitask, solve problems, and take ownership of projects.
- Working knowledge of design Software-Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)
- Knowledge of social media management and design tools such as Hootsuite, Canva, and Adobe Spark.
- Knowledge of online meeting platforms such as Zoom and live streaming platforms such as Restream and Streamyard.
- Knowledge of developing short engaging videos on Doodly.
- Skills or experience in content management, using tools such as Google Analytics, and Google AdWords.
Qualifications and Experience:
- An appropriate Diploma or Degree in Communication or a similar field.
- Proven, relevant 1-2 years’ experience in communications.
- Experience creating visual and written content for digital media.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Quality writing skills and editing experience.
- Excellent digital content management skills.
- An interest in education and a passion for the power of strategic communications to contribute to sustainable development.
Eligible applicants are invited to apply by submitting a 2-page CV (with two contactable references), a page motivation letter on or by the end of the day on Friday, 15 September 2021 to: [email protected]. The subject line should be Communications Assistant (your name).
Applications will be reviewed and interviews conducted on a rolling basis, and this advert may be withdrawn at any time from sites without notification.